English at Canon Popham
Read Write Inc (RWI) is a programme to get children off to a flying start with their English. RWI is a method of learning centred round letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn how to blend sounds
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences
Please refer to this cursive alphabet sheet for the phrases to support your child with the development of their handwriting.
Bug Club is a reading program to help develop confident and motivated readers. Books are interactive, have audio and feature comprehension activities.
- An enormous range of fiction, non‑fiction and poetry, offering variety to keep children engaged and develop a love of reading.
- Features well‑known characters from film and television.
- Finely levelled to give your children manageable steps in reading progression and a real sense of ongoing achievement as they move through the levels.
You can access Bug Club here: ActiveLearn: Login (activelearnprimary.co.uk)
OFF by HEART 2022 – Use the link to choose a poem from your year group to learn ‘Off by Heart’
Evidence of our Extraordinary English!
A mixture of Reading into Writing, Wider Curriculum Writing, Different Genres of Writing and Writing About Events (WBD)