English at Canon Popham
Statement of Intent
Writing Progression Map
Writing in EYFS
Reading Progression Map
Reading in EYFS
Spoken Language Progression Map
Click here to view Phonics at Canon Popham
Read Write Inc (RWI) is a programme to get children off to a flying start with their English. RWI is a method of learning centred round letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn how to blend sounds
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences
Please refer to this cursive alphabet sheet for the phrases to support your child with the development of their handwriting.
Bug Club is a reading program to help develop confident and motivated readers. Books are interactive, have audio and feature comprehension activities.
- An enormous range of fiction, non‑fiction and poetry, offering variety to keep children engaged and develop a love of reading.
- Features well‑known characters from film and television.
- Finely levelled to give your children manageable steps in reading progression and a real sense of ongoing achievement as they move through the levels.
You can access Bug Club here: ActiveLearn: Login (activelearnprimary.co.uk)
Our Core Stories
OFF by HEART 2022 – Use the link to choose a poem from your year group to learn ‘Off by Heart’
OFF by HEART POEMs to learn R to Y6 (1)
Evidence of our Extraordinary English!
A mixture of Reading into Writing, Wider Curriculum Writing, Different Genres of Writing and Writing About Events (WBD)